There are still risks
- Water supplies could be attacked in other ways.
- Destruction of a water treatment facility could stop the flow of water into a distribution system.
- Destruction of storage systems could interrupt supply or even cause flooding.
- Security at water supplies has been increased since 9/11 (for example, see http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/dep/html/news/innews.html)
- Other risks to water supplies are less dramatic, but real.
- Over 60% of area residents lost power during Hurricane Bob, some for weeks. Public supplies have back-up power.
- Many utilities rely on automated sensors connected to phone lines or the Internet. These services were interrupted in NY following the 9/11 attacks.
Are there plans to prevent or contain a hazardous spill?