The contamination may not have spread
- EPA is also monitoring the ambient environment outside of ground zero.
- As of 10/30/01, 28 of 1485 air samples analyzed in lower Manhattan were found to be above the school reentry standard for asbestos (http://www.epa.gov/epahome/wtc/data_summary.htm).
- Only one of those was collected this month (10/9/01).
- Traces of dioxin, PCBís, and VOCís were found.
- The New York City Department of Environmental Protection has been monitoring the air in lower Manhattan (http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/dep/html/airmonit.html).
- The NYDEP reported that as of 9/30, most air samples from outside the security zone were below the residential indoor air standard for asbestos.
Did something get into the water?